Behind the Pages

www.behind-the-pages.com

Faces in the Water (The Shades of Venice, #1)

Faces in the Water (The Shades of Venice, #1) - Tonya Macalino Be at Behind A Million And One Pages on 29 May for a exclusive review of Faces in the Water! Join the blog tour!

I was somewhat shocked when I started this novel. I didn't think I'd get a kind of post-apocalyptic feel to it from Sleepers' Syndrome. OK, well if I wanted to, really it could've been deciphered from the blurb, but still it came as a shock. To be honest, I didn't really understand the disease much at first, but as I got through the novel, I understood it all and how devestating it would be on Alyse, as well as the others affected by it as well (such as Ryan). Along with Alyse's 'enhanced' body we start to get used to this new world, that we didn't really know we'd get ourselves into. Just as this is a shock to us, we are thrown into this new world and forced to get over it (if we signed up for it or not) just like Alyse as she catches Sleepers' Syndrome. Her job makes her that much more interesting, as I have never read from a sensory illusionist's perspective before, nor read of one until the first time I picked up my Reader and started reading. It's a wonderful concept that is brought into the novel, and it brings with it a new light as well as a new take on first person narration. The ending, oh the ending. leads us perfectly from the start of her story into her next one. We find out the truth as to why she is so unique, as well as finding out her sweet, sweet plot to come back. (Yes, start getting intrigued)