Behind the Pages

www.behind-the-pages.com

Indigo Awakening

Indigo Awakening  - Jordan Dane

This review can originally be found on my blog, with an interview with Jordan as part of the blog tour. Thanks to Harlequin Teen Australia for a copy of this novel for review.

Behind a Million and One Pages

I did have expectations for this novel, but then at the same time I didn't want to as well, incase I gave too much to expect. My second novel by Dane, and it has been my favourite. I can tell that this is going to be a series that questions what is to come in the future, as well as what is to become of us as well.

I love how this book is full of imagery. Every step of the way, we can picture exactly what is happening, every detail made out in each scene, mixed with our own interpretations. The vivid colours and buildings, shown both from Gabriel's depictions from his drawings, as well as from just the story-telling really bring this all to life, as well as the very realistic fact that we can relate easily to the characters.

The constant change in perspective, may seem to make us lost. It doesn't. All the characters are blended perfectly into each other that only sometimes, we get a little lost because of a completely new character that is introduced. Some of the characters are just plain sick. Like seriously people? HOW THE HELL CAN YOU DO SUCH A THING! (read and find out exactly what), thinking about it now, it seems like a bit much to include, but then when you read, it really does fit. Rayne's sister is a serious nut-case. There is a fine line between family and groups (in my mind...cults). The whole Church cover-up was a bit of a stretch though, and franctly, it does limit the reader group. Many religious people would be offended in a way by this, even though it is a cover-up and their whole reaction over the book could be based on this point alone.

The love connections are very easily spotted..... Basically from as soon as you meet both characters and they start interacting in some way, you can tell. What I really liked, however, was finding out about Gabriel more. Yes, we want to find out about the other Indigo Children as well, but because Gabe is one that is known as the more mysterious, we can't help but be intrigued about his past more than the others.

The shock-horror ending, isn't much of a shock (well to me) because of why? predictions! (does that mean that I have a little Indigo Child in me? haha). I could guess from when Gabriel was talking about his parents what was going to happen, sorry, who should happen. It is a moment that makes us want to find out exactly what happens next, as well as how it will all end as well.