Behind the Pages

www.behind-the-pages.com

Brian, His Granddad and the Cup of Ages

Brian, His Granddad & the Cup of Ages - P.J.  Taylor You can find the original review over at my blog:

Behind a Million and One Pages

3.5....

Let me start off by saying that this review is of my opinion of the book. I think that it is a perfect book for middle-graders, and if given a rating for that it would be a 5.

The start of this novel gets straight to the point with Brian's situation and what his mother is doing (albeit a tad too formal for this genre). Brian, Audrey and Norman all reminded me too much of Harry, Hermione and Ron from the Harry Potter series. It was like this the whole way through the book, which is why I think it got brought down a rate. Also, the constant reference to Rock Cakes was as tiring as the three main character's similarities to H.P. Another little downfall, was the world "albeit". It was used throughout this book very frequently, and I felt like it was there at least once in every chapter. These are what brought the book down for me.

The overall story was put forward to us great and other than the downfalls mentioned above, was a great read. I love the use of books in this book (HA!), a unique idea to use as well as to capture the attention of book lovers even more --> definitely got my attention captured!

The supporting characters as well as what the kids have to face to find out the truth, and to help stop what is going on are very entertaining. The two monsters Sam and Hadley are the coolest monsters out! ( yes the coolest :) )

Brian is a very curious character when we first meet him, and this is what propels him to go searching for the adults and solve the mystery. With some very awesome creatures and supporting characters, this book is great to give to any 12 year old.

I really do hope that there is a sequel. There are still some threads hanging loose with Brian's story, and you really do want to find out how everything is after the ending. (This paragraph might be a bit confusing, but I don't want to give away any spoilers)