Behind the Pages

www.behind-the-pages.com

Shatter Me (International Edition)

Shatter Me  - Tahereh Mafi There’s one reason why I HATE novels like this. It’s because that it’s only a recent novel, just come out yet now seeing as I’ve finished the novel, we have to wait another WHOLE YEAR for the next one to come out :/ This is going to be torture. I even had the release date for this novel on my calendar and going into the bookshop (Big W) 5 days earlier without the intention of seeing this book yet it was there right in front of me! I had to literally hold my excitement down to one massive grin plastered on my face, stopping myself to do a happy dance (for the first time).

Words can’t describe how amazing this book is. This is probably my favourite book of the year (followed closely by Hereafter). Although we are not left on a major cliff hanger the inexplicable desire to read the next book in the series is still there nagging at my brain. Every page, every word of this novel was devoured with feverish action that you really wonder if the book was 338 or just 50.

From page 1 we instantly are connected with Juliette’s hardships and struggles to maintain a bright focus on reality and not drift into the world of madness and psychotic-ness that would inevitably destroy her if she went down that path. We are filled with her emotion as well as her fear of herself and others around her. The added touch in this novel with the strike-out words/sentences/thoughts just allows us to further delve into her emotions and thoughts that we get to know her sooner rather than gradually in the novel. From this we know what she would think and what she would do as the story kicks off quickly and we are already known with Juliette that it would take most novels half of the novel to develop such a connection to the protagonist and the reader. We learn about the world again with her as well as laugh at some of the things that happen not knowing how to drive a car, is banana potassium? James when he asks if they’ve ever tried chocolate - which was so cute!

What I love most about this novel is that the story is so fresh and new that there’s nothing predictable about the novel! I couldn’t guess at the storyline and to be honest I didn’t even think to consider the rest of the plotline beforehand because I was just so caught up in the story that I didn’t want to stop reading it!

Adam. What more is there to say about Mr. Sexy-smexy Adam Kent? We fall in love with him from the first time we meet him and even though we meet him straight away in the book we’re glad that he’s there the whole entire way. The total lust worthy, and very steamy make-out sessions, make this man to die for; His loyalty and compassion, along with determination make him the irresistible fairy tale prince that we all want to have at home. This book wouldn’t be the same without Adam. Although, while saying this, this book would not have also been the same without Warner, the guy we love to hate. He’s completely volatile and insensitive, and insecure that we wish him hell throughout the book. His bipolar-ish mood swings and handsome face makes us for the slightest moment reconsider his ‘evil’ side before we’re thrust back into reality of just how spineless he really is.

Omega Point was completely unexpected. I really didn’t see this happening at all. It is factors like these in novels that make us love the novel even more as we don’t know what’s in store for the characters. When we get to the institute we have a feeling of relieve yet wanting to pinch ourselves that it is real and that Juliet is not the only one. Although this gives off the kind of X-Men factor it is still new and fresh and doesn’t seem like its fan-fic-ish to X-Men. We are shocked as well as have a sense of relief and the good left in the world. We also have the urge to find out more about the institute in Omega Point as well as all the questions that come to mind that we need to know. This is sort of the backdrop cliff hanger. It is not something that is a constant thinker to make it the biggest cliff hanger but it is there and we do think about it but not in the feverish anticipation for the next novel. We have this anticipation for the next novel all on its own.