Behind the Pages

www.behind-the-pages.com

Review: A Breath of Frost (Lovegrove Legacy #1) by Alyxandra Harvey

A Breath of Frost (The Lovegrove Legacy) - Alyxandra Harvey

See the original review on my blog!

Thanks to Bloomsbury Australia for sending me a copy for review

A brilliantly crafted witchy world, set against a picture perfect backdrop. This book will suck you in and leave you wanting more.

When I started this book, I didn't have enough time to read more than one chapter for a whole day. So when I started to have time, I started getting confused. There are so many characters that are thrust on you straight away, it's hard to keep track of who is who etc. The book is set with following a different character, but you follow that one character in 3rd person, then it switches on each new chapter. I couldn't follow some of what they were talking about, as well as some of the scenes at the start because I didn't understand what was going on. I think it's just me though, because I didn't read it all together and get a real taste of what the book is about in the first few chapters.

Once I started getting into the book, it's a completely different story, it was captivating and I absolutely fell in love with Emma and Cormack. I wanted to keep on reading about their relationship and their secret kisses, that every time we came to a chapter on either Emma or Cormack, I would be hoping for the two to meet again and steal a few kisses and just be plain out cute. Don't get me wrong, I love the other characters too, but these two are my favorite in this book.

The thing that I found really strange was that there was so much kissing, especially beacuse it's supposed to be Regency London. I kept feeling like the amount of kissing in the book as strange. Even though I loved the Emma and Cormack kissing scenes, it still seemed out of place for the time period. I wish there was more descriptions on the spells, like we are told that Emma finally learns how to use the glamour spell, but we first learn that she is having difficulty with it. It suddenly changes to her using the glamour, and we don't even get to see her overcome her first spell!

I loved the bits about her mother, it included something different to the story that wasn't something we were expecting, and it prepared us for the end of the book! I was kind of a bit shocked at some points, but we could get the gist of why some things happened, even if they didn't get explained to us.

If I had enough time, I would have read this book in one (maybe two) sittings. It was addictive, and even though a tiny bit of it is predictable (for me only the spell Cormack's sister told him at the start of the book), it will still keep you turning pages to figure out the mystery. It was only at the end that I had a feeling of who it would be, but even though it was confirmed, there were still a whole heap of surprises that came out at us to leave us stunned.

Even though I said earlier that I got confused at the start of the novel, once I got into the book, I could vividly start picturing everything as it was happening. It's like we are viewing a memory (read the book to understand the reference! haha). But I suggest that you read this book when you have time to just sit and read for a while, so you can get a feel of the world.

It was a brilliant ending to the book, and I can't wait to read the next in the series! It's not a cliffhanger at the end, but after reading something like this, you will be anxious for the second!!

Source: http://behindamillionandonepages.blogspot.com.au/2014/03/review-breath-of-frost-by-alyxandra.html